Seven people were injured Saturday after a fire broke out in a Brooklyn apartment building.
The fire started in a sixth floor hallway at 1711 Fulton Street in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Officials believe a couch caught fire in a storage area, filling the entire floor with smoke.
"Most of the occupants on the sixth floor could not exit their apartments due to the heavy volume of smoke and heat, and they were panicking and showing at multiple windows when we arrived," said FDNY Deputy Chief Wayne Cartwright.
"The apartments are fire retardant. If you don't open the door, the fire won't come in. But who wants to get stuck inside their apartment during a fire? That's scary," said resident Andrea Hull.
Of the seven hurt, five of them were rescued by tower ladders.
One man, the building's security guard, was found unconscious and rushed to the hospital.He's expected to recover.