Friday, April 6, 2012

FDNY: Poorly Disposed Cigarettes Cause Of Queens Apartment Fire

City fire marshals say carelessly discarded cigarettes are to blame for a fast moving fire in Queens late Friday that sent a woman to the hospital.

The New York City Fire Department says it broke out around 11:15 a.m. in the bedroom of a fourth floor apartment located at 153-25 88th Street in Lindenwood.

Firefighters from Engine 225, Ladder 107 say the tenant, identified as Marie Loughlin, 64, was found inside the smoke-filled apartment and that she had suffered a heart attack.

EMTs were able to revive her as she was being transported to Jamaica Hospital.

Her condition is listed as serious.

Four other residents were treated for smoke inhalation.

No firefighters were injured.

Investigators say while they do not believe the fire is suspicious, smoke conditions inside the building's hallways were not expected.

"They're built with self-closing doors. So even if somebody exits, okay, the door should close. So we would not normally expect on the fire floor to have such a heavy smoke condition. Now you come down to a 200-foot hallway trying to find the apartment that's on fire, you're looking for the open door but that delays you," said FDNY Deputy Chief Jim DiDomenico.

"I brought about 10 people into my house, guided them down the fire escape and two old time neighbors - 85 and 91 - I had to keep in my bedroom because they couldn't get down the fire escape, there'd be more injuries," said building resident Ronald Buffamante.

Fire officials say one police officer also helped out in the rescue.

By: NY1 News

No comments:

Post a Comment